Saturday, December 18, 2010

"I'm a liquids guy"

He was so innocent all those years ago when I first met him. When a whole bunch of our friends took him to a strip club for his birthday, I think that may have left him a little scarred - probably didn't make his top five favourite birthdays.

A night last week or so, I had made dinner plans with the Smiz who was working with him, so we all thought why not, let's meet for drinks and think about where we could go for dinner.

I haven't seen him in awhile so it was an excellent opportunity to catch up.  And I must say I have been blessed with friends who love to wine and dine, I would be rather unimpressed if I hung out with a crew who just ate lettuce.

We decided on Bistro Pappilion, right in the heart of the city, French and close to the train station.  We started with a glass of sparkling, a ritual firmly in place now, all thanks to my foodie friends Nic and Matt.

Then came the entrees:

1. Bread and Olive Oil
2. Pork Terrine
3. Cheese and bacon (?) Tart - well it came out looking like a mini pizza

Entrees ... all very passable, the Terrine was tasty though a little dry.

I was a major fan of the bottle of wine, of course it was from Alcase.

Conversation flowed, especially with the second bottle of wine opened, and he started telling us about a boy he recently started seeing.  Young love - so cute, so sweet.

We drank more wine, and I reminded him of what he said to me all those years ago,
"What do you know about me?" he just about demanded
"Um.... You like boys?" I had replied

Mains came out:

Me: Veal
Smiz: Duck
Him: Selection of meats or maybe there was just two

I thought my veal was rather dry though the duck was delish.

Oh no! Then came dessert:

1. Dessert wine - a bottle
2. Profiter rolls
3. Creme Brulee
4. Selection of cheese

In my opinion the dessert made up for the dinner, and I guess I was a little bummed that my meat was over done and too chewy for my liking.

What I really liked about the restaurant though is the affordability and the ambience, we actually had pretty good service.  Casual, comfortable and a little homey.

One thing I love about spontaneous dinners is that they always turn out awesome, I thought me and the Smiz would just catch up for dumplings that night, but we ended up at this great little French bistro instead.  I know my meat was a little dry and the same can be said about the terrine, but it was the company that made it such a great night out.  I will leave most parts of our conversation up to your imagination, as quite a few times I would have rated it AO, but here is one part that I can share with you,

The Smiz said to him "You're drinking that very fast"

He replied "I'm a liquids guy"

Yours Truly,

Miss A.

We dined at:

Bistro Papillion
98 Clarence Street
Sydney

Our total bill including an approximate tip of $20 was $350

No comments:

Post a Comment