Sunday, August 14, 2011

I think I just ate a rabbit's ass

It was one of those awesome occasions where me, Smiz and Hollywood caught up for dinner.  We had initially decided on heading to El Loco for some tacos and margaritas but then decided on El Capo.  I had read some great reviews on El Capo and thought it would be great to give it a go.

I got a mandarin margarita which was actually pretty nice.  Whilst waiting for the Smiz to arrive we ordered some starters and we also got given a serving of these weird pop-corny kernals that had some sort of salty seasoning on it.  Imagine eating an oversized corn kernal that was hollow.  Weird and not my favourite but yet I couldn't stop eating it.

Our starters came, corn bread with 'home made butter'.  Not sure if it was really home made but it was tasty, I do love my butter, though I didn't think much of the corn bread which were pretty much like deep fried balls of flour.

The other dishes we ordered were passable, such as the sardines, ceviche and red cabbage salad.

We ordered the rabbit cooked three ways and we were all very excited about it as it sounded fantastic.

I was the first one to try and initially I thought it was just me.  I didn't really like it, but I didn't want to ruin it for everyone so I didn't say anything.  I tried the soup that was poured around the meat when it was served.  It was gross, I think that would be the best way to describe it.

Smiz did one better though and said "this tastes like a rabbit's ass"

Now that I think about it I wish we were more vocal about the dish when we were asked how our meal was, but all we said was that it was 'interesting'.

The night ended perfectly though.

We walked over to Porteno for cocktails and ended up ordering more food.  It was only from the bar menu but it was definitely delicious and we all sighed in satisfaction as we ate our pork sliders and looked at the menu to order more food.  

So it was a thumbs down for El Capo or El Crappo as I now call it, I am not sure what all the rave reviews were about.

One thing we can all agree on though and that is Porteno, absolutely amazing, I always love heading back there, for a drink, bar food and looking forward to heading there for another dinner sometime soon.

I am trying to get a date in with my foodie buddies so I am hoping so in the next few months.

Yours truly

Miss A.

No comments:

Post a Comment