Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sardines

Whenever I am out for a bite with friends and I see sardines on the menu, I want to order it but don't.  It's much the same with eating them, I find I am always eating them alone - where there is no one to see me eat them.

I once told someone I liked eating sardines and he went "YUK - that's what my dog eats", so I have shied away from letting the world know of my tatse for sardines.

So it was to my surprise when I was out for dinner, one of my friends suggested we order sardines.  It was absolutely delightful to be able to eat this fish in public and not only that but to be able to convert another.

We offered it to another friend, who initially said no as she thought it was "what they put on pizza".  We got her to try it and received a thumbs up.

It is one of those types of fish often overlooked, they are quite tasty and should definitely be given a chance.  One of the 'fishier' types of the fish family, we had ours grilled, and it came with a slice of sourdough topped with olive tapenade and a little mixed salad... quite delicious.




We ate:

Entree - grilled sardines with panzanella salad and olive tapenade bruschetta ($18)
Main - crisp fish with aged beer batter, chips and tartare ($25.50)

We were at:

Garfish Seafood Restaurant
Kirribilli






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't even cook them. Just soak them in vinegar and oil and garlic overnight. Then eat. Very yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I haven't tried Sardines before, but I would definitely try them in an entree like that. I may just have to check that restaurant out.

    ReplyDelete