Saturday, February 19, 2011

First time Thai Dessert

Last night I had a dinner date with the one and only Miss Janey.

We went to Chat Thai, which I can confidently say is the best Thai restaurant in Sydney.  I have always wanted to eat there but the lines have always put me off and I have never waited.  Last week was my first experience of Chat Thai and I couldn't wait to go back.

The wait last night was not that long, we went for a quick drink at a bar nearby and by the time we got back, we had our table straight away.

We started off with a serving of steamed dumplings, they were pretty standard dumplings, quite delicious though nothing out of the ordinary.  Followed by Pad Thai which was truly authentic I think, I could very well compare it to the Pad Thai I ate when I was in Thailand.

We also ordered a Penang (not quite Thai I know) Curry with beef - yes not the usual thing to have in a Penang Curry but it was really, really good!

BUT - this is what I really want to rave on about, and that is the dessert.  I have never really thought about ordering dessert at a Thai Restaurant before, normally I am so full that dessert is the last thing on my mind.  So tonight me and Janey strategically only ordered enough so that we would have room for dessert.

Although we were both really full, the dessert stomach always has room.  I left it up to Janey with my only request being ice-cream.  She ordered a coconut dessert in which I have struggled to find the name online. But here it is:



The coconut sticky rice was absolutely fabulous and I didn't know that rice could be so tasty when it's sweet and that it goes with ice-cream!  The coconut pancakey layer on the top was also really tasty and because it wasn't over the top sweet it was a definite winner with me.

I would highly recommend this cute little restaurant, especially if you have the patience to wait up to 45mins for a table, it will be worth it.

I have hit up my foodie buddies twice now to head onto Chat Thai, a place I cannot wait to eat at again.  So all I can say to them is hurry up and call me, let's make it a date!

Yours Truly,

Miss A.



They have a few restaurants, we went to their flagship (and they are open until 2am):

Chat Thai 
20 Campbell Street
Haymarket

Very affordable, our total bill was around $50




4 comments:

  1. We love Chat Thai. Affordable, yummy... what more do you need? I guess that's what you're grateful for, right!? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... Thai. We love Longrain in Melbourne, which I believe Sydney has a version of as well. Excellent spot for a G&T and a look at the cool-set, as well. Yumsk.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn I would even just go for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to find someone that believes in the dessert stomach! I thought I'd coined that term but apparently there are others before me!!

    Also a big fan of under-ordering on the mains so that there's room for dessert without feeling disgusting afterwards!

    Love your food descriptions :)

    ReplyDelete